Scroll down for
Firearms Instructional Experience and Training (Continued)
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF LAW ENFORCEMENT FIREARMS INSTRUCTORS - Finish the Fight- Jeff Hall, NRA Law Enforcement Staff Instructor; Patrol Rifle - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch; Handgun & Long Gun Disarms/Retention - Howard Webb, ACCJT; Instructor Development - Police Handgun, Marty Hayes, FAS; Tactical Handgun Combatives - George Williams, Cutting Edge Training; Survival Shooting Is Speed Shooting, Capt. Mike Boyd, Prineville, Oregon PD; Live Fire Active Shooter - Mike Herbes, DPSST; Defensive Urban Rifle - John Farnam, DTI,; Instructing the Female Officer in Firearms Training - Vicki Farnam, DTI; BUG Art: Backup Gun
Firearms Instructional Experience and Training:
OREGON DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY STANDARDS TRAINING - Certified firearms instructor at Oregon Police Academy; member of International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors (Master Instructor Development Program)
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION - Certified IDC Graduate
GLOCK INC. - Certified Armorer
DEFENSE TRAINING INTERNATIONAL (John Farnam) - Certified Affiliate Instructor
NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION - Certified Pistol and Home Firearm Safety Instructor
ARMED CITIZENS LEGAL DEFENSE NETWORK - Affiliated Instructor
REACT TRAINING SYSTEMS - Adjunct Instructor
TACTICAL SERVICES GROUP - Certified Low-Light Instructor
CENTRAL OREGON SHOOTING SPORTS ASSOCIATION - Member, Safety Committee
- Attorney/arbitrator; former prosecutor for City of Salem, Oregon
- Former firearms instructor at the Oregon Police Academy (12 years)
- Use of Force and Firearms Instructor at Oregon Firearms Academy (10 years)
- Decorated combat veteran - U.S. Marine Corps infantry platoon leader
- Juris Doctor, Willamette University College of Law
- Master of Arts in Teaching, LaVerne College
- Bachelor of Arts, Lewis and Clark College
FOR armed CITIZENS
INSTRUCTOR IS A COMBAT VETERAN, LAWYER AND POLICE TRAINER
Strategies for LE Professionals, Maximizing Performance With Smaller Defensive Handguns - Mike Boyle, AILEFI; Coaching Basic Handgun Marksmanship, Accuracy Coaching Strategies - Bill Garland, DPSST & RAMS-BPA; Developing the Combative Mind, Situational Combative Pistol - Dave Spaulding, Handgun Combatives; Surviving Standing and Ground Attacks Including Weapon Retention - Shawn Jewell, R.E.A.C.T. Training Systems; Master Instructor Development Program - Pistol (Jeff Hall), Concealed Carry (Mike Boyle); Teaching & Training Use of Cover - Mike Herbes, DPSST; Winning in Close Quarters -Shawn Jewell, R.E.A.C.T. Training Systems; Low-Light Course Development and Instructor Certification - Ed Santos, Tactical Services Group; Stress Inoculation - Peter Burlingame, Self Defense Initiative; Working With Challenged Shooters - Mike Herbes, DPSST
SALEM POLICE DEPARTMENT - S.W.A.T. Tactics and Training; Confrontational Simulations; Emergency Vehicle Operation Course
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION - 5 Day Certified Instructor Development Course
ARMED CITIZENS' LEGAL DEFENSE NETWORK -Understanding Use of Deadly Force in Self Defense - Massad Ayoob, Marty Hayes, James Fleming
REACT TRAINING SYSTEMS - Instructor Development Program
THUNDER RANCH OREGON - Instructor Development Handgun
GLOCK Inc. - Armorers Courses; 3-Day Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor Workshop
DEFENSE TRAINING INTERNATIONAL (John Farnam) - Advanced Handgun Tactics; Intermediate/Advanced Defensive Handgun
INTERNATIONAL TRAINING CONSULTANTS (Clint Smith) - Tactical Handgun
FRONT SIGHT FIREARMS TRAINING INSTITUTE – 2-Day Advanced Tactical Handgun; 4-Day Defensive Handgun; 1-Day Submachine Gun
INSIGHTS TRAINING CENTER - Defensive Folding Knife
PUBLIC SAFETY TRAINING CENTER (Clackamas Sheriff's Office) Deadly Force Decision Making
ACTION TARGET/FIREARMS APPLICATION RESPONSE MANAGEMENT TRAINING CENTER - Practical Shooting Range Development and Use
OREGON DEPT. OF PUBLIC SAFETY STANDARDS & TRAINING - BC 216 Firearms (Handgun)
CODE 4 - Bullet Proof Mind: Lt. Col. David Grossman
FIREARMS ACADEMY OF SEATTLE - Handgun Retention & Disarms; Advanced Handgun Retention & Disarms
JACOBE GROUP - Concealed Handgun Training for Oregon; Legal 101: Legal Self-Defense
DESCHUTES COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE - Concealed Handgun Training for Oregon
THREAT DYNAMICS - Tactical Defensive Shooting
SURVIVAL TECHNOLOGIES - Combat Point Shooting
UTAH BUREAU OF CRIMINAL IDENTIFICATION - Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor Course
CLOSE QUARTER COMBATIVES - Surviving The Ambush
MARYLAND POLICE TRAINING COMMISSION - Firearms Safety Training
OREGON FIREARMS ACADEMY - Defensive Handgun 1 and 2; Advanced Handgun Tactics; GLOCK Defensive Handgun; Defensive Handgun Tuneup; Low Light/Night Fire; Defensive Rifle/Carbine; Defensive Shotgun; OC Pepper Spray; 5-Day Firearms Instructor Development Course
COMBATIVE FIREARMS TRAINING - Essential Handgun
- "Steve is a serious firearms instructor (and attorney) with a long list of experience to back it up. I’ve taken multiple courses (classroom and live-fire) from him and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him to anyone interested in improving their firearms skills and education, especially about carrying concealed and the implications, concerns, and ramifications of doing so."
- "Steve's been in combat, both in war and in the courtroom. Listen to him!"
- "Met Steve for the first time this weekend. I would have absolutely no qualms about placing my life in his hands…a very professional, honest and forthright man."
- "Steve is a highly professional instructor, and HE DOESN'T PULL ANY PUNCHES!"
- From a graduate to his friend: "…this is the instructor I was talking about. Feel free to reach out to him regarding any questions you have…You will find him a lot more understanding, friendly and useful than the other guy you spoke with today. By the way, his follow on course ['What Do I Do…?'] is awesome as well if you get a chance to take it. Really helps you make some great home self defense choices and decisions."
- "Steve is a helpful, skilled, polite, educated, ethical, excellent teacher, warm and humorous."
- "My husband and I enjoyed your class…we like your no-nonsense approach to teaching!"
- "…got the best info possible from someone who has lived it."
- "Thank you again for the instruction I received in your class last week. I found your teaching style calming, orderly and step by step. I know my wife will feel safe learning from you."
- "I only wish that all individuals that we have teaching classes on this range followed his example…I personally have the utmost respect for him and his teaching ability." [from a range manager]